Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Robbers or Traffic?

i can't believe how much i have changed in one year.It's just about one year since i moved from England to do a stint in Nigeria and everyone was always telling me how in a matter of months i would change and i kept arguing but sad to say,they are right on some issues.

Funny thing happened last week.I was getting ready to leave my office to an appointment i had on the island when we heard gunshots.Apparently armed robbers had just attacked a bank near my office and were trying to get away so they opened fire to clear the roundabout which is usually a bottle neck. I looked out the window which faces the road and saw people taking off from their cars, the security personnel in my compound ran into the different offices and in a matter of seconds the road was like a deserted town.Now the silly part, instead of me to take cover like everyone else, i ran to my driver and said to him to get in the car for us to head out as the road had cleared.So while others were running for cover, i was running into the madness just to avoid traffic.

Can u blame me?I lose about 4 hours everyday in traffic and trust me i was more afraid of it at that point than any robbers.After all, i have been attacked 3 times this year although they were minor attacks and i lost nothing but the truth is i have now accepted robbery as a trade in Nigeria.I would never write negative stuff about i country i came back to contribute to but it's sad that this is going unchecked. My friend's sister was robbed and she was told were to go and pay a fine to get her items back..imagine. She got there and saw a room full of laptops, phone, watches, handbags etc all taken from people. They now asked her to come back the next day as the boys who operated the night before had not submitted their goods...true story.

So is that not a clear case of ......, let me not finish that.It sure makes no sense to me who did it and i know this is new behaviour. Where something that dangerous now becomes acceptable.God save us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol! hilarious story I have to say...9ja! A country filled with extremely smart people who lack the common sense to use their smartness in a positive way!

Anonymous said...

You're suh a clown.Gosh,i have never heard anyone do something so silly but ii guess you didn't have time to think it through properly.Love our blog though.I have bookmarked it and please keep posting